Storage and Backup
Storage is central to corporate information systems. Performance, security and scalability of the information system all depend on choices made on that matter.
Relying on an extensive experience in various environments, Prolival helps you define and implement the backup and storage infrastructures you need most.
Our engineers’ know-how, attested by partnerships with market leaders, enables us to integrate innovative solutions, guaranteeing the continuity of your activities and the security of your data.
Storage is an ever expanding market. Firstly because the volume of data is exponentially increasing: IDC forecasts an increase of 500% in volume for the next 4 years, while Gartner Group’s estimation is around 650% of growth for storage needs in the next 5 years. Secondly because the evolution of architectures is towards IS recentralisation and virtualisation, and generates new needs in terms of storage capacity and performance.
To address this issue, several companies have taken over this market. After a thorough study of vendors’ offers and our clients’ needs, we have decided to establish partnerships with software and hardware vendors, providing the best guarantees for durability, continuity and adaptation to change.
SAN/NAS central storage
Our offer regarding SAN/NAS storage is built upon the integration of components, from two market leaders: Dell and NetApp.
DELL storage solutions
As an « Enterprise Solutions » partner, Prolival can integrate the whole range of Dell storage solutions:
- Dell PowerVault MD32/36[More]
Dell PowerVault Series is the perfect answer to a great number of storage needs at a very competitive cost. It is designed for all applications needing high levels of performance and capacity, while being very cost effective.
The main features are the following:
Dell’s most affordable arrays – Low investment necessary
Enterprise-class Functions and Performance
Maximum scalability allows growth when needed
High IOPS and bandwidth
SSD support and tiering (option)
12 - 3.5” or 24 - 2.5” disks per array
Expand to 120 HDDs with DELL MD expansion enclosures
Expansion option to 192 HDDs
SAS, iSCSI and FC protocols
Mix and match different types of drives
Options for advanced data protection (SS, VDC, Replication)
Designed for 99,999% availability
Components designed and tested by Dell
On-going improvement between hardware generations
Fully-embedded MDSM management tool
VMWare vCenter Plugin
Microsoft SCOM support
- Dell EqualLogic PS Series [More]
Relying on a revolutionary architecture of highly virtualised peer storage, PS Series EqualLogic arrays facilitate deployment and administration of consolidated storage environments.
A complete set of features helps rationalising the purchasing process. The system guarantees a fast, iSCSI SAN deployment, a simplified storage management and complete security for data. Dynamic virtualisation of the system brings enterprise-class performance and reliability, and helps easily dealing with the change in your needs.
Intelligent, automated management From box to operating SAN in minutes
Monitor petabytes of storage across dozens of SANs from a single console
Exceptional performance for both sequential and transactional applications with linear scalability Automated, real-time load balancing across drives, RAID sets, connections, cache and controllers Pooling capability enables appropriate service levels for individual applications
Fault-tolerant, fully-redundant dual controller design for no single point of failure
Designed for 99.999% availability
Enterprise-class RAID protection
Hot-swappable components, flexible online redeployment of arrays
Modular design allows growth when needed
Online expansion between hardware generations
Linear scalability — scale capacity and performance together
Manage a growing pool of storage from one single user interface
Thin provisioning to increase space efficiency for optimal capacity utilisation
Expand overall group capacity by mixing pools of 6000 and 6500 arrays
All-inclusive enterprise features and functionality with no additional software licenses to purchase
Easy connection via iSCSI
Automated features help to eliminate highly specialised administrative costs
Adopt 10GbE and run both 1GbE and 10GbE in the same environment without devaluing legacy equipment
EqualLogic SANs have the lowest TCO of common storage array architectures (fully 1/3 to 1/2 the total cost of competitors over a five year period – 2009 study)
Addition of 10GbE supports high-performance, high-bandwidth
applications such as data warehouses and streaming media
Maximise your IT investments with an end-to-end unified fabric encompassing servers, EqualLogic storage and Networking
Enterprise level virtualised storage that matches virtualised server environments
Support for multi-tiered application designs with automated tiering of hybrid models (6000XVS & 6010XVS)
- Dell Compellent [More]
Dell Compellent Storage Center is an enterprise data storage array that delivers high performance with fewer drives, power and space. In fact, with Fluid Data storage, your cost per gigabyte can actually decrease as you grow.
- Storage virtualisation: storage is virtualised at the drive level, creating an ultra-efficient, high-performance pool of storage shared by all servers and applications.
- Thin provisioning: virtual volumes of any size are provisioned upfront, yet physical capacity is only consumed on write.
- Automated tiered storage: using granular real-time intelligence, snapshots and inactive data automatically move to lower-cost drives, while new writes and active data remain on high-performance drives.
Dell Compellent Storage Center forms a solid foundation for flexible grid storage, allowing you to scale up and out with dynamic business continuity.
- Technology independence: mix and match the latest drive and interconnect technologies, and easily add new technologies as they become available.
- Non-disruptive architecture: add capacity, dynamically change system configuration and initiate new functionality online without disrupting operations or suspending data access.
- Unified storage management: easily manage your entire storage infrastructure and save time and effort through built-in automation.
- Dynamic business continuity: non-disruptively migrate volumes between storage arrays and datacentres, creating an on-demand cloud infrastructure.
The Dell Compellent Storage Center enables you to continuously protect data against downtime and disaster—without the need for full-volume clones, capacity pre-allocation or high-speed data links. Fully redundant hardware and advanced failover features help to ensure high availability.
- Space-efficient snapshots: once an initial snapshot is taken, only incremental changes in data need to be captured, allowing you to take continuous snapshots for near-instant recovery to any point in time.
- Thin replication: cost-effectively replicate data synchronously or asynchronously over Fibre Channel or IP connections. Only subsequent changes are replicated following initial site synchronisation.
- Highly-available architecture: deliver uninterrupted data access with clustered controllers, automated failover, dual paths from servers to drives, virtualised ports, and fully redundant power supplies and fans.
NetApp storage solutions
As a NetApp Silver Partner, Prolival incorporates NetApp storage solutions in its clients’ information systems.
A pioneer for central storage solutions in open environments from the early 90’s, NetApp offers a complete range of storage solutions for all sizes of business.
The efficiency of built-in software enables to deliver first-grade performance and a level of security and activity continuity consistent with the requirements of all types of companies:
- DataOntap operating system
- Advanced RAID functionalities, among which RAID-DP
- Data deduplication and compression
- Network Clustering and asynchronous cloning via MetroCluster architecture
Storage virtualisation combined with servers virtualisation is an optimised approach to the demand for rationalising information systems.
Companies can benefit from using virtualisation features offered by hardware providers. But it also means ending with a proprietary infrastructure.
Prolival, as a DataCore technology partner, has built a thorough expertise on storage virtualisation and on single or multi-sites implementation for this technology.
SAN Symphony software suite edited by DataCore is the leading platform in open storage network. Main benefits of this technology are the following:
- Being independent from the hardware part, DataCore provides agility and an important reduction in infrastructure costs
- As for servers, storage virtualisation helps optimising the use of resources and improves the infrastructure performance
- Automatic and instantaneous provisioning of disk volumes helps answer more quickly to frequent change demands
- Implementing IT contingency plan becomes easier and faster
- An accurate automation of most of administration tasks help optimise storage cost of ownership while increasing reliability
Main features of DataCore San Symphony are the following:
- Automated thin provisioning
- Network mirroring
- Asynchronous IP mirroring
- Multi Pathing
- Fibre Channel and iSCSI
Prolival carries out complex centralised backup projects, implementing heterogeneous and complementary hardware and software technologies.
Prolival can offer solutions based on all types of servers environments, Windows, Linux, Unix and IBM i5 (AS/400), VMware virtual servers, Microsoft Hyper-V and Citrix XenServer, but also workstations, in particular remote ones.
To reach this result, Prolival can rely on the competencies of our software and hardware partners. Our main partners for backup infrastructures are Symantec, Synerway and Veeam.
Synerway has developed solutions, covering a large range of backup services, on disk, tape, RDX or network.
With Synerway Backup Appliances, each company (small, medium, government, multi sites, etc.) has access to a data backup solution, fitted to its specific needs.
Synerway offers 3 types of appliances (small, medium or large) depending on the volume of data you need to backup (from 400 Go to 38 To disk capacity).
Synerway appliances are compatible with all IT environments. Whether you work with Linux, Windows, Unix or Open BSD, you can benefit from a tailored backup solution.
Synerway appliances can be either physical or virtual (SVA). The feature set (data, systems and applications protection) and reliability are identical.
A virtual appliance frees you from compatibility, maintenance and costs constraints, all associated to physical appliances.
Nevertheless you should use a physical appliance for multi sites infrastructures where data have to be locally backed-up and restored.
As a Symantec Gold Partner, Prolival integrates for several years the solutions proposed by Symantec.
Among these solutions, Symantec offers a large range of backup tools, including the Backup Exec and Netbackup products.
Symantec Backup Exec
Symantec BackupExec 2010 delivers a reliable backup and recovery solution designed for small or medium businesses. You can easily protect more data while you reduce storage and management costs through integrated deduplication and archiving technology.
Key features are the following:
- Data protection for physical and virtual server environments from desktop to server
- Integrated and adaptable deduplication
- Unified archiving
- First-to-market granular recovery for virtual applications
- Patent-pending Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) recovers critical Microsoft application data in seconds
- Centralised 3-tier set-up, reporting and patch management
- Scalable heterogeneous support through remote Agents and Options
- Continuous data protection for Exchange, file Servers, SQL servers and desktop data
- Innovative multi-product integration with market leading technologies
Symantec’s NetBackup 7 data recovery software, powered by Symantec V-Ray, offers patented visibility into virtual file systems and applications as well as transparent backup and recovery across physical and virtual silos. V-Ray increases IT agility and paves the way for realising the true savings potential of virtualisation.
Key features are the following:
- Unified physical and virtual backups
- Instant single file data recovery services provide visibility inside of virtual machine backup images
- Virtual machine aware deduplication and integrated virtual and physical deduplication
- Automatic identification, discovery and protection of all virtual machines as they come online
- Data recovery program lets you recover single files in minutes instead of a manual restore, mount and search shuffle that can take hours or even days
- Realise up to 98% deduplication of data, up to 10 times faster backup times and up to 95% reduction in storage requirements
Veeam Backup & Replication is a complete software suite to backup and protect your virtual machines.
This solution takes charge of your virtual environment, but also relies on this environment security to ensure a very efficient level of protection for your virtualised applications, services or data.
Thanks to two-in-one replication and backup, Veeam provides you with the most comprehensive protection for your VMware virtual infrastructure.
You can restore a full virtual machine, a specific VMDK file, or a specific application in just a few minutes.v With Veeam you can minimise breaks, disruptions and alterations in your production environment.
Design, integration and support of a replicate architecture of backup on disk, based on Synerway appliances
Crédit Commercial du Sud-Ouest
Design, integration and implementation of a solution for AS/400 data replication, through Quick-Edd and Double Take on VMware infrastructure
GIE Mutua Services
Implementation of a centralised and replicate SAN storage architecture, as well as associated backup tools
Implementation of a virtual storage with DataCore SAN Symphony-V (active/active cluster) and replication on a DR site Backup of the virtual environment with Veeam Backup
Société Raffinerie de Dunkerque
Rebuilding of the Information System security: backup based on Networker